Thursday, May 24, 2012

Tramps Like Us . . .

I love everything about being a teacher.  Believe me, I do.  I love . . .

sharing anything and everything I know about literature and writing
watching light bulbs go off when kids get it
seeing kids grow--physically and intellectually
being a mentor/role model
reading kids' writing
sharing my writing with kids
reading to kids
sharing my own love for learning
learning from my students
getting to know new kids/families
working with colleagues who feel more like family than co-workers

and mostly
THE KIDS

but sometimes
like any job
it just gets so hard

and that's why I have little rituals to help me make it to that last day of school.

like . . .
getting facials during our breaks
making Saturdays totally school-free days
using spring break for my own personal writing retreat


and, my favorite . . .

making that last day, which is a teacher work day with no kids, a BORN TO RUN day!

By the time I get to the last day, that is exactly what I want to do--run.  It really does feel like the school, the job, the politics, the stress

rip the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

And so I always wear my Born to Run shirt on this last day, the only day I would ever wear it to school, and blast Bruce all the way to and from school!
Let's RUN, girls!!!


Thank you, Bruce, for helping me find reasons to believe every single day--especially the LAST DAY! 



Baby this town rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
'. . .

6 comments:

  1. Amazing! You were and still are one of my greatest inspirations! Happy last day of school! ❤ Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christian. I loved being your teacher. You were an amazing reader and writer in 7th grade. Hope you still are!

      Delete