Saturday, May 12, 2012

Coffee = My Mom

Even though I have a Masters degree and more graduate hours than I'll ever need, I still love taking classes--especially English classes.  One of my favorite classes EVER was a class I took a few years ago, Creative Journaling. (I highly recommend this class if you need some graduate credit, or if, like me, you love to journal!)
One assignment for this class was to make a list of smells and what they remind you of.  I listed such things as chocolate, baby lotion, coffee, etc.  The final step was to choose one and answer a series of questions based on senses.  Without intending to, I ended up writing a little sensory poem inspired by my mom, and I wanted to share it with her, and you, this Mother's Day weekend.  Here you go, Mom:


CAPTURED MOMENT

I smell coffee brewing in the kitchen.
It brings back memories of my mom, the ultimate coffee drinker, something that I never have been.   
Whenever she visits or when I go home, I wake up to that smell.
I sense her presence.  Her motherly ways.  Her strength as she begins a new day.
I taste something burnt.  Something scalding.  Something bittersweet.
I know that my mom is in the house.  That she is beginning a new day.  That I am safe.  That I am loved.
I hear my mom’s feet padding down the hallway, the pouring of coffee into a mug, the quiet morning waking up.
I see the sky beginning to lighten, my mom in her nightgown.
I feel unconditional love.





Happy Mother's Day to my mom--Juliet's grandma, my traveling companion, my roommate, my go-to person, my confidant, my friend . . . my reason to believe!



3 comments:

  1. Ahh! I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful poem and a wonderful friend/mom you have.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful tribute to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is too cute. your "captured moments" ... love this. you are a great writer. got me teary-eyed for sure.

    ReplyDelete