Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Big Man







No--say it isn't so--my words when I learned of the death of Big Man, Clarence Clemons.  I knew he had suffered a major stroke last week and that the media was reporting that it didn't look good, but I was hopeful.  He had come back from other health issues, and I just knew that he would recover from the stroke as well.  But that wasn't in the master plan; he lost his battle, we lost an amazing musician, and the lights have gone out on E Street.

Of course, Big Man was so much more than a musician.  He was an icon, a presence, a faithful friend, a hero, the "master of disaster," the "king of the universe."

Just what is it about Big Man that his death has caused my heart to bleed?  Well . . .

His friendship with Bruce--stories which Bruce has shared with his fans through his music, through his stories on stage, and Clarence's own versions of the same stories in a much more exaggerated style.



His magical presence when on stage with Bruce and the E Street Band.  When the spotlight was on Big Man or when he was center stage with Bruce, I just smiled from ear to ear--that kind of smile that makes my cheeks hurt.



Bruce introducing Big Man--always saving him for last and sometimes telling the story of how they met.  I and the rest of the crowd would go wild.



That saxophone--oh so recognizable even when not playing with Bruce.  "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out," "Born to Run," "Jungleland" just can't be the same without Big Man.




I can't imagine going to a Bruce concert and not deliriously waiting for Big Man to shine.  Oh sure, Bruce will go on, and maybe even the E Street Band will go on, but it won't be the same.

I'm just so glad that "the change was made uptown and the Big Man joined the band," and I got to see his magic in person.

Waiting for Bruce @ Pepsi Center 4/09

dancing to "Glory Days"

Micki and Jill dancing at the Bruce concert

Johnny 99--Woo hoo

A blurry Bruce and Big Man @ the Pepsi Center



It can't be over! (Big Man 2nd from left)

For that and for the music and memories and joy that Big Man leaves us, I have a reason to believe.


Good night, Big Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment