Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happy Birthday, Alice!

When I read Heidi's blog post (heidiwrites) encouraging those of us who love Alice Hoffman to join a "blog hop" in honor of her birthday, well, I just knew I had to hop on board.  I am not a seasoned blogger by any means--indeed, I find the whole blogging process stressful, but in a good way.  For Alice, I'll deal with the stress and send my birthday wishes and love to an author who has given me so much to look forward to.

I fell in love with Miss Hoffman back in 1993 when I was given Turtle Moon as a gift.  I had just left a safe life in Nebraska full of family, friends, and security to find something new in Colorado.  I didn't realize how elusive that search would end up being and how much I would miss my Nebraska life.


Enter Lucy Rosen, a character on a search of her own. I couldn't stop reading her story as she desperately searched for answers--to murder, to family, to love.  I'd never read such beautiful words--words like "He truly believed it was possible to reach up and steal the stars right out of the sky.  Now he doesn't even see the stars anymore."  

Turtle Moon got me through the shock of leaving one life and beginning a new one.  Now my bookshelves are home to so many Alice Hoffman novels--novels that I reread time and time again.

My favorites?

Turtle Moon (of course--your first is always the best, right??)

and

Aquamarine (such a sweet friendship story)




As an English teacher, I am forever drawing on Alice Hoffman novels to use a mentor texts as I help my students discover the writer inside themselves.  

For similes and metaphors, imagery, and magic--
"By now, the mermaid was light as air, dusty and dry as the sand."
"They went in past the whitecaps that shone like stars"
(from Aquamarine)

Esther the White now thought of her decision, such a long time ago, to bury the past in the earth, to forget her own childhood and let the Compound honeysuckle—its odor so strong it had hung over the ice as Esther the White’s fingers cracked with the cold as she buried the jewels—take over everything, even her memory.  And now, as she stood with Cohen by her side, the odor of that same flower filled her, as if memory and pain could both be erased with a flower, with a scent.
(from The Drowning Season)

(These are just a few of my students favorites)

And so, for giving me new friends and words to live by--for allowing me to enter into your magical world--for changing my life--
Happy Birthday, Alice,
and 
THANK YOU!
from the bottom of my heart!

 

8 comments:

  1. Cheryl, WOW! I love your post. That is so awesome that you draw on Alice Hoffman novels as mentor texts. What an eye-opener she is:) and must be for your students. I think they're lucky to have you. I'll tell you this, since my efforts to find my own high school english teacher years later failed. Whenever I'd be stumbling to express something in her class, she'd always look me straight in the eye and say "Be specific." She said that to me many times:) I can still see her standing there, an encouraging, writing, guardian angel. I suspect you have many students who you've touched as well.

    I haven't read Turtle Moon or Aquaramine yet, but now, I'll have to get to them sooner. I love what you wrote about how Turtle Moon helped you through a huge shift in your own life. I think maybe I love The Story Sisters because it's helped me cope with my own complicated relationships with my sisters, but I never really realized that until I read your post today.

    Thank you Cheryl for being part of the hop! I understand what you mean about blogging:) I'm so glad you joined us! And I love your Alice Hoffman book shelves.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi--you certainly took your English teacher's advice. Your comment is as beautiful (and specific!) as your blog. I am so happy I discovered you! I look forward to reading many more of your posts and hope that some day I be half the writer that you are.
      Thank you for your beautiful words!

      Delete
  2. Heidi is absolutely right, your students are lucky to have you! I ran into Alice Hoffman's novels by accident, and what a lovely accident it ended up being! I guess it was meant to be ;)

    Thank you so much for sharing this post, these thoughts... and the pictures of your lovely collection and of your absolute favorites. Mine is still quite small, but I hope to solve that problem very soon. I need more Alice Hoffman in my life... even if just to know that's she there, that she is right there for me, in case I need her. It gives me comfort, you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words! In some ways, I envy you having so many of Alice's novels yet to discover. They are all amazing--each in its own way. Happy reading, and thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I wish I'd had a teacher that cared that much in school. I had to search out my own stories of hope and redemption. Bringing Alice's stories to life for your students is an amazing gift you are giving them! ~Jessica Fortunato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica--Thank you so much for your lovely words! I love teaching English, and bringing in beautiful literature is so much fun for me. Alice Hoffman books are perfect for so many reasons--craft lessons, theme lessons, and just plain beautiful stories. Isn't she amazing???

      Delete
  4. Really great post and I've been sent down the road to many other wonderful Alice Hoffman books from this blog hop. I've only just found her as a writer and with just The Dovekeepers under my belt I'm eager to read many more of her stories. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth--thank you so much for your kind comment! In so many ways, you are lucky to just be starting down the Alice Hoffman road. You have so many wonderful characters and stories to meet along the way--enjoy!

      Delete