Friday, February 16, 2018

Goodnight, Sweet Juliet


Almost a week has gone by since I had to say goodbye to my Sweet Juliet, and I'm still an emotional wreck.  She was twelve and nearing the upper end of the average lifespan for her breed, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  We knew that our time with her would come to an end eventually, but no matter how prepared I thought I was for that moment, it still hit like a ton of bricks.  I haven't felt such intense sorrow since my dad died in 1982.  Those who aren't dog lovers wonder what the fuss is.  It's just a dog, they say.  To that I say you couldn't be more wrong.  Jewel was so much more than "just a dog."  First and foremost,

Jewel was
A member of our family.  From the moment we brought her home, she belonged.  She loved our home and the homes of our families in Colorado, Nebraska, and Minnesota.  She loved when family came for visits, and she loved to visit them.  Jewel was there for every holiday, for celebrations, for get togethers, for evenings on the patio and snuggling in by the fire.  She unconditionally loved every member of the family--we were her whole world.

Jewel loved her Grandma so much.
Jewel and Grams

And her aunts
Jewel and her aunts

And uncles
Jewel with the guys

And cousins
Cousin love

And the Royal Babies
JuJu and The Royals

And Jess
JuJu and Jess--forever friends

And Jewel loved me
Jewel and me

Jewel was
A protector and comforter.  She watched over Grams and me at all times.  She walked by my side, never getting ahead of me--if she found herself a few steps in front, she stopped to wait for me.  She had a major fit whenever someone helped me up the stairs, so worried that I might get hurt.  She was a comforting presence to Mom and me--her spirit filled every room of our house.  She had her favorite spots to nap, and they all included a view of us.  The couch, the rug by the patio, the window seat, the rug in my room, and the hallway were her top choices, and it was always comforting to glance up and see her and hear her softly snoring (my favorite!)
snuggles

Jewel was
A showstopper.  No matter where we took her, people would have to stop to pet her.  She loved it!  She loved everybody, whether it was her babysitter Leyna or the grocery carryout guy or the Sonic carhop or the customers at Pet Smart.
That face
Jewel was
A nature lover.  She loved to sit in the yard or on the patio and just watch nature unfold.  She gazed at the sky and the trees and the flowers.  And above all, she loved our walks around the neighborhood where she sniffed and rolled in the grass and owned the sidewalk.  We met so many people and dogs on our walks, and everyone came to know and love Jewel.
JuJu loving the world
Jewel was
a traveling girl, following her wanderlust.  Whether to Nebraska or a Colorado trip or a ride across town to Andy's in Wheat Ridge or a simple Sonic or car wash run, Jewel loved the car.  If we were in town, she rode on the console by my side or lay on her mat on the back seat for a snooze.  For out of town trips, in the kennel she went with no fuss whatsoever.  She even got to be in First Class on a trip to Minnesota!
packed up and ready to go
Jewel was
a prima donna.  She really was a girly girl--she loved to go to "the beauty shop" and all the groomers adored her.  She galloped  down my hallway, and when she was a puppy, she would stop every few feet and pirouette like a member of the Nutcracker.  She loved watching the Westminster Dog Show, cheering on her favorite each year.
Jewel the movie star

So you see, Jewel was never just a dog.  She was just . . .

my girl.
Julie girl

On February 2, Jewel began to decline in health.  On that day, she wasn't able to stand up for part of the day, and her breathing was off.  She came out of it that evening, and we hoped that it was an isolated episode.  That was not in her stars, however, and she steadily went downhill despite my many Hail Marys and fervent prayers for her to snap out of it.  It was clear by the following Friday that she would not, and we were going to need to make a deciison--her breathing was labored, she hadn't barked for a few days, she wasn't eating, and she had a few more instances of not being able to stand.  My prayers changed that night.  Dear God, I prayed.  If it's Jewel's time, please let her go naturally, or if that isn't your plan, please let me know when to let go.

As it was, He answered both prayers.

Saturday morning Jewel was worse.  She couldn't stand, and now she wasn't drinking.  She was on the couch but wanted to be on the rug by the patio door (she somehow actually jumped off the couch and walked there.)  I sat with her in the kitchen and just watched her.  Her breathing was so labored, and a river of tears streamed down my cheeks.  I knew then that it was time.  Something wouldn't let me leave her, though.  I needed to go get dressed and call the vet, but I couldn't take my eyes off her long enough to do either.

At some point, her breathing got extremely fast, and I sensed that something changed.  And then

She looked into my eyes with so much love. 
She reached her paw toward me. 
She closed her eyes and then opened them half way.  
She closed her eyes again and took her last breath.

The moment was so peaceful, so loving, so bittersweet, and so very Jewel.

Lady Juliet Capulet Montague Thompson
Jewel
February 20, 2006 - February 10, 2018
Forever Juliet

2 comments: