Monday, September 7, 2015

It All Begins in Kindergarten

See that chair?  Yes, it's waiting for Ethan on his first day of kindergarten.  But it could be any name on that chair--Emily, Juan, Marie, Max--doesn't matter.  Because for every child, this is where it begins.


Every five year old who enters through that schoolhouse door, full of wonder, intrigue, anticipation, and yes, even nervousness and fear, begins an educational journey completely in the hands of a teacher.  Most of us can remember our own beginning.  I certainly can--I couldn't wait to go to kindergarten, and I loved every day I spent with Mrs. Smaha and my kindergarten classmates.  Without knowing it, she provided us a safe, loving environment that began our quest for success.


Ethan began his own quest when he walked down the hallway to his classroom for the first time.  On the way, he said to his mom and dad, "I can't get this smile off me face!"  How lucky teachers are to have these little souls enter their classrooms so full of joy and so ready to devour everything presented to them.  And how lucky are these children who are welcomed with loving arms and full hearts by their teachers. This first year is crucial for setting the stage for the rest of those students' school years.  It is here, in the kindergarten classroom, where children will begin to believe in the value of education and develop a joy for learning.  Oh Ethan--I hope you never get that smile off your face!


What will it take to keep that smile burning bright?  Whether they know it or not, much of that will depend on the teachers along the way.  The relationships they build with their students.  The classrooms they create that encourage every one of their kids to be creative and successful.  The excitement they bring to their lessons.  The heart they give freely to their students as they see them as their very own children.


Here's wishing every little five year old, every elementary student, every middle schooler, every freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, and college student, the gift of having those teachers with hearts as big as the ocean.   I know I did. 


Micki on her first day of kindergarten
And so did Ethan's mom!


And apparently, so has Ethan.  He wrote his brand-new teacher this note after his first week of kindergarten, complete with hearts!


Little brother Drake trying out a kindergarten chair
May those teacher hearts be there for generations and generations of children who so desperately need their influence, guidance, expertise, and love.


Thank you, Mrs. Aten,  for giving your heart to Ethan and all the beautiful children you have touched.  I hope you know the important role you are playing in their futures and the way they see themselves for the rest of their lives.









6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote this! It's perfect. To see the purity of education like this truly gives us "reasons to believe." Thank you for writing it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Kari, are one of those teachers with heart. Every student who has been in your classroom is a better person because of you.

      Delete
  2. This was such a surprise to get to see! Kindergarten is an awesome grade to teach. They are usually all so excited to be at school and they are so eager to learn! It's been a pleasure to teach Ethan and I hope I can help him keep that smile, along with all the other students I have the pleasure of teaching this year! It's going to be a fantastic year! Miss Peterson, my Kindergarten teacher, still has a special place in my heart, too. . . . so, here's to all the great beginnings and great memories along the way. ~ Mrs. Aten :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Aten--Thank you for this comment. I am thrilled that Micki shared the post with you and that you enjoyed it. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for what you do for our kids!

      Delete
  3. I am in my second year of teaching kindergarten...after 30+ years of education...My little ones started blending words together this week. I was delirious with happiness....this is why I am still in education. Moments like this make the hard times all worth it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--you're amazing! Thank you for dedicating your life to our kids!

      Delete